We are five weeks into the renovation and overall things are going well <cheers>! But oh my gosh (!) it’s so much different this time around. Undergoing a renovation is much different than an addition, and DIY verses hiring professionals is also a big contrast.
With a renovation you have the benefit of more easily imagining the space since it’s already built. Yes of course you will be removing walls and rearranging rooms, but for the most part the space already exists. With an addition you’re making big, permanent decisions without seeing anything in real-life. Everything is two dimensional on a, comparatively, tiny piece of paper.
While creating the drawings, it seemed like like we would have plenty of space for all of the things we wanted in each room. Plenty of counter space in the kitchen, no worries about the size or location of the island, I wasn’t concerned about wall clearance for a door into the den, and I was definitely not expecting the master bathroom to seem cramped. But I was mistaken on all accounts. What the heck? I thought we were putting on a HUGE addition, what happened to all of my space?!
This has been the hardest challenge so far. As rows of 2×4’s go up and rooms are defined, I keep finding myself scaling things back to account for real life applications like door swings, cabinet depths and eventual furniture placement. It’s all coming together much quicker this time around and although that’s great, it’s keeping us on our toes.
As for working with professionals, not just my husband, that is providing it’s own set of challenges. No matter how many details, measurements and specs you include in your drawings, the person doing the actual building has their own vision. A lot of times this is a good thing, as they will build it in a way that makes the most sense, but sometimes it just seems random.
Take the window above our bathroom vanity. Last week I walked outside to see the progress after they’d left and I realized I couldn’t see out of the window. The threshold was literally above my forehead! I mean, I understand I’m short, but c’mon! After talking to Adam he said there was really no reason it was like that, he just wanted it to be the same height as the larger windows. Five minutes later it was expanded down to approximate counter height and everyone moved on. However, if I hadn’t noticed it so quickly, I’d be stuck with a window I couldn’t see out of forever. Or I would have had to pay more than a small fee to re-order the correct size glass. As much as I love not doing the work this time around, especially in the middle of January, I definitely can’t take a totally ‘hands off’ approach.
That’s it for now – I’ll keep y’all posted with our progress as we move forward. These guys work fast so I’ll do my best to keep up!
*** Exciting changes are coming to Life on Hill Street! We will always keep you posted on our various renovation projects, but the blog is going to take more of a design focus in 2017. Look for new features coming soon! ***