Two weeks of trying to find a plumber that would come out to the house and actually give us a quote sometime before the end of October has proven surprisingly difficult. How does anyone in this profession make any money!? Or are they really that busy?! I mean seriously. I clearly went about choosing a career path all wrong…
After having contacted five (yes, five) different plumbing companies, I’m kind of left feeling like, no matter what, I’m getting played.
Thoughts verses reality:
– Umm dude, I have a job and I’m going to be at it from 1:00-3:00 on Friday. So no, I can’t meet you at that absurd time. How the exactly do you think we’re paying for this?
- “Yes, absolutely, whatever works for you. I’ll meet you at the house.”
– Ohhh you’re an hour and a half late?! Really?! I have to say, I didn’t actually want to drive 100mph (undoubtedly ruining my transmission) to be here on time for absolutely no reason. [tilts head, gives stink eye]
- “Thank you so much for getting over here today, I hope it wasn’t too far out of your way.” [smiles charmingly] “Can I get you a water?”
– Your joke about not sending me an estimate until ‘December or January’ was not amusing. Seriously. It wasn’t. That was mean and I’m not laughing.
- “Ohhhh hahahahahaha! You’re too funny!”
– Whaaat?!?! There’s no-freaking-way this one little bathroom could cost that much!! Geez. Illegal black market drugs and limited addition French wines have less of a markup. For real.
- “Who do I make the check out to?”
That about sums up my take on plumbers. It’s their world, we’re just living in it.