I know it’s been a while, and for that I’m sorry. Bad blogger! Between being pregnant (read: exhausted) and general holiday craziness – I’ve been distracted the past few weeks. Additionally, we really haven’t done much on the house for those reasons and a million more. I just kind of took the month of December off to focus on family, friends and festivities. But as it is the new year, it’s time for a renewed focus.
2015 is exciting for us as it SHOULD (you read it here first, folks) see the end of our major renovations (ahhh yay!!!) buuuuuuut, of course we’ll see. I thought a good way to start off the year would be to organize a list of the remaining projects in order of importance. So, here goes nothing…
- The Nursery: this needs done before May 1st, and ideally long before that. It shouldn’t be terribly hard, as it’s just walls, floor and décor. No electrical and no plumbing (yay) but a non-negotiable timeline (eek).
- Recessed Kitchen Lighting: this project makes my heart sing. I’ve hated our ugly ceiling light/fan in the kitchen since day one and it’s FINALLY time to rip it out and put in modern, recessed lights. Why is this project happening now? Because we need to access the wiring via the floor in the nursery.
- Siding: this project probably makes our neighbors hearts sing. For 18 months we have been those annoying neighbors who are constantly renovating (sorry!) but you wouldn’t know it just to look at our house. Now that we know how much is left in the budget, we know what we can spend on our curb appeal, and we need some!
- Guest Bathroom: remember the old sketchy bath tub and toilet we had to use while building our master suite? Yea we tried to block it too, but now it’s finally time to rip all that out and replace it with new. The tricky part of this project? Subfloor water damage. Eww. This one will be a doozie.
- Front Porch: just like we re-built the back deck, we will have to rebuild the front porch. Ian and I don’t agree on whether this is a contractor or DIY project. And that’s as far as we’ve gotten.
- 3rd Floor Staircase: our very first project in the house was ridding our walls of textured paint and re-plastering them. We did this everywhere BUT the 3rd floor staircase. Now, it’s time. Oh and the stairs need a little work too.
- Guest Bedroom: this is more of a cleaning and organizing project than anything, but don’t be fooled. The door to the room barely opens because of all the piles of STUFF. An entire episode of hoarders could take place in this room. For now, I’m avoiding it.
- Office Area: more cleaning and organizing and building of shelves, extending the desk, filing papers, etc. Another no-fun weekend project that will end up being worth it, but for now just sounds downright miserable. I’ll also throw ‘finishing the entertainment center’ into this one, as it’s still in pieces on the floor.
- Master Bath Closet: this project got bumped when I started growing a bump. I’m hoping we’re still able to get to it soon though. Our bathroom is beautiful minus the gaping hole next to the shower where a closet should go. Oh and I currently have nowhere to put laundry, which is a bit frustrating.
- The Basement: now here’s something I care nothing about but Ian is obsessing over. I suppose I understand as it’s his new workspace since the nursery has to become an actual nursery and not a staging area. I’d include rebuilding/replacing the bilco doors in this category too.
- The Front Door: We will either fix it or just replace it entirely. It still doesn’t close properly from when we extended the half bathroom by a few extra (very important!) inches. We’ll see what the budget is looking like once the siding and front porch are done. Then we’ll make a decision on the door (and screen door, which I’m super excited to replace).
- Interior Doors: oh yes, every single door in the house needs at least another coat of paint. But we’d probably be better served to take them off, sand them down, fix various hinge/knob issues, and re-stain or repaint them so they close properly. I have no earthly idea when we’ll get to this.
- BONUS! The Little Things: the window on the staircase needs sanded and repainted. We need an exterior outlet on the deck. Our master bathroom could use a door. My shoe closet isn’t quite done. We still haven’t bought/installed a spice rack. More than a few light fixtures need replaced. Speaking of lights, I’d like some under the bottom shelf in the kitchen. I want to wallpaper part of our bedroom. We need shelves in the bathroom…you get the idea.
So this is where we are. A dozen real projects and then about seventy-two little ones that we may or may not get to before selling or just freaking quitting. Nonetheless, this is it. Those twelve projects should easily be completed in the calendar year and we can finally say we’re ‘done.’ 2015 should be big for us with the happy addition of a baby and the long-awaited conclusion of renovations on Hill Street.
Happy New Year Indeed!